Lily Bowers and the Uninvited Guest
I hired Jennifer to proofread my first middle-grade fantasy book after it had been line edited. I wish I’d met her first though, as there were a few recurring mistakes that were made by my line editor. After I went over the line edit, I sent her my manuscript and mentioned those mistakes because I wasn’t sure if I’d corrected them all. Unfortunately, I missed a bunch too, but she didn’t and caught a few more things. Not only does she have an eye of an eagle, she went above and beyond just a proofread. She gave me suggestions on spots that were questionable that I ended up changing and directed me to various resources to strengthen my message in my book. For edits on my future books, I will just contact her! Jess Lohmann
Snap: Bannister’s Muster, Book One
Working with Jennifer was a delight, I didn’t expect half the work she did. She was extremely thorough and professional and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend her work to others. At last I needn’t feel embarrassed by the typos, as I doubt anyone would find one.–Barbara Gaskell Denvil
Tillie and The Golden Phantom
I commissioned Jennifer Navarre to proofread my children’s middle grade chapter book manuscript, Tillie and the Golden Phantom. From the beginning of the process Jennifer exhibited professionalism and efficiency:
- I submitted my manuscript for a quote request.
- Jennifer replied immediately with a very reasonable cost.
- I accepted and she sent a formal contract and invoice.
- I sent my 20,000 word document as an attachment.
- Within an agreed period of time Jennifer returned the completed word document to me, a day before the agreed date.
I am delighted with the way Jennifer presented the completed documents. Her email included a five minute video which guided me through the way she had presented the edited word documents. Three documents were attached:
- With Tracked Changes and Comments.
- With Tracked Changes accepted and Comments.
- Final Clean copy all ready to send to my formatters.
This was over and above what I had expected of her, but it simplified my next tasks along the publishing journey. Jennifer also helped with some of the formatting issues.
During the whole process we made contact via email so we both knew we were going in the right direction. As I am an English girl, and the story is set in England, we discussed some variations between U.K. and American words and phrases. The small differences between the language and culture were not an issue. I decided to leave out a few phrases which Jennifer drew my attention to which may cause confusion to young non-British readers.
Jennifer’s attention to detail is absolutely outstanding. Here are some of my faults and inconsistencies she highlighted.
- Punctuation: Hyphenated words and commas in particular.
- Capital letters: Either removing the unnecessary capitalization or inserting where necessary.
- The use of using a company name without prior permission. (You saved me a possible legal case there Jennifer!)
- Plot holes: Jennifer spotted and calculated a character’s age which I had incorrectly inscribed on a fictitious gravestone. The character wouldn’t have had her birthday on the date she had died. Brilliant! Jennifer should be a detective!
- Consistency: I had made a few errors regarding chapter headings, formatting and name spellings. Jennifer corrected these or pointed them out for my call.
Most of all Jennifer’s comments boosted my pride and confidence. I even laughed at my own jokes because they had amused her. She laughed out loud in the comment box. LOL! That made me feel I had captured the humour necessary for a middle grade story.
Whilst reading my edited work, the words, ‘Well picked up!’ frequently flashed through my head. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with Jennifer and highly recommend Navarre Editorial Services.
I look forward to working with Jennifer on my next project.
Packrat to Clutter-Free
Jennifer offered comments on my book that none of my other nine editors made. She helped make sure I didn’t break any copyright rules, that my writing was consistent, and that my grammar was up to a higher standard so my book was something I was proud to share. – M. C. Starbuck, author of Packrat to Clutter-Free: How I Cleaned Up My Life In Less Than a Year
Outstanding experience!–T.N., author
Fast, awesome, smart, exactly what I hoped for! It was a pleasure working with you, I hope we can get more work done together in the future!–D, author
Coco Rose Interiors
Jennifer offers skilled editorial services. Our first opportunity was as expected; friendly attitude, quality writing and above and beyond service. Jennifer’s work is of a very high standard and I will definitely be using her services again.–Petria, Coco Rose Interiors
Jennifer proofread a blog post of mine. Not only did she identify errors in my writing, but she gave me suggestions that helped my writing flow. Now I feel confident in my content knowing that these errors have been corrected before publishing my blog post. Thanks, Jennifer!–Toni-Ann, http://www.realhappymom.com/